Thursday, October 10, 2013

TTT: working with the public, final fast run, and back to the drawing board.

1. Sorry, this first one is a bit of a rant. When you've worked in retail and restaurants for the better part of two decades, you see people from all walks of life. I have seen them all. I like to think that I have a lot of patience when working with people and acknowledge that some people just don't understand how to act with courtesy. At Home Depot I work at the service desk which basically means that everyone comes to me with their problems or complaints. That's fine. I'm a people pleaser and like to try to make people happy and resolve their issues. What I don't understand is when I try to do so and they basically get angry with me. Last night I had a lady come up to the desk and ask if we had any non-toxic antifreeze. This is one of those seasonal items that we stock in various places in the store that also gets moved around a lot. I only work a couple nights a week, so I got on the phone to check with a department for it's location. I've literally been on the phone less than five seconds and she's sighing and being impatient. Oh I'm sorry, we only have 200,000+ products in this store, I haven't memorized the precise location of every one, I'm thinking to myself. The other associate said something funny as he was checking on it and so I laughed. The woman says in a very serious tone, "I wish you wouldn't laugh, time is money." I replied in a louder than I should and not-so-polite tone, "I'm checking on it for you ma'am." Whoops, I was borderline rude to a customer. I'm thinking, I'm so sorry that my good mood is so bothersome to you. So she leaves the desk to go get the antifreeze and returns with a case of it (6 bottles) and another loose bottle and I proceed to ring her up for seven and tell her the total. Looking at me like I have eight heads, "Oh, I don't want seven, only six." Uh, then why did you bring me seven? Apparently my mind-reading powers weren't working either. 

Okay, moving on... 

2. I ran my last "hard" run of this marathon training cycle this morning. I was going for six miles which  is a little bit longer than my usual mid-week runs. The weather was perfect, mid-40s and sunny and I was a bit hot in my long sleeve shirt. I ran a pretty even pace with a strong finish {8:36, 8:34, 8:28, 8:34, 8:34, 8:12}. I'm still finalizing my race day attire. My hair is getting to that snarly length so I'm thinking of going with the double-bun on race day.

3. So I made a fuel belt a few weeks ago once I decided that I would be wearing my Spandits! skull capris with the girls. They have a small pocket, but don't hold enough fuel for a marathon so I needed to come up with a solution.

It worked great around the house and on my first run. Then when I took it on my long run two weeks ago, it rode up like crazy and I wore it wrapped around my wrist for pretty much the entire 15+ miles. Then I was thinking that it might be that I wore different capris on the second/failed run, so I tried it again today with my Spandits! to see if that was the problem. It was better, but it was still not staying in place and had to take my phone out. So now I'm going back to the drawing board and hope that the girls don't mind being my personal Sherpas.


  1. The double buns are adorable! Perfect race hair.

    And I am so impressed that you even tried to make your own fuel belt! The closest I have come is adding some extra velcro to one I found on clearance at TJ Maxx to make it big enough to go around my waist (it was an extra small)

    1. Thanks Kiersten! I already have some ideas to make it better, just need more time!


Thanks for your comments!