Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Week in Review

I had a great week of running last week. It was equally wonderful the week before, but never got around to recapping it here. Don't worry, I won't bore you with all of that. Plus I want to get some painting done while the boys are at school. 

Tuesday - off
Wednesday - off
Thursday - 4.2 mile progression run, 37:33 {9:14, 9:06, 8:59, 8:43, 7:27 pace for last .2} 
Friday - off
Saturday - 3.1 miles, 25:57 {8:41, 8:13, 8:09, :54}
Sunday - off
Monday - 20 MILES!!!!! 

At work on Sunday, KC (whom my last post is about...and you can still donate here), discovered that we both had 20 miles on our schedule for Monday morning. Why not run together? 

I was nervous about running with someone new. I knew that she was used to running long runs at a faster pace than me. Also, I had gotten very little sleep in the last two nights after getting up ridiculously early for a work meeting at one job and working late that night at another. I didn't know if I would be able to keep up and would feel bad if I was holding her back. But I think it was good to have someone push me a bit and keep going when I sometimes mentally check out when running alone. The good thing was the weather was cooperating and it was in the 60's with light rain. 

The first 10 miles were pretty fast for me, but felt pretty good. My breathing was in control and we ran every hill. Actually, we charged up every hill. This is funny because I felt that KC was pushing on the inclines so I did too. But at the end, she though I was pushing the pace on the hills so she was following me! {9:14, 9:08, 9:24, 8:58, 9:11, 9:12, 8:54, 8:44, 8:54}

At mile 11 I started getting a nasty cramp in my left ham-ass (a term coined by SUAR recently) and we took a little walk break resulting in our slowest mile at 11:24. 

At this point we tacked on a couple out-and-backs to get as many miles as we could before heading back to my house for more water which we reached 15.5 miles in. My ham-ass kept cramping up (more of a pinching) and KC's hip flexors where bothering her so we slowed down our pace a couple of times. {9:06, 9:33, 9:04, 9:54}

When we got back to my house I forgot to pause my watch, so the time for mile 16 is about three minutes slow. {12:24 - should be 9:24} With only 4.5 miles left we headed south to do a quick out-and-back. We were both feeling pretty done at this point and took a couple more walk breaks, but managed to run every hill. {9:09, 10:29, 9:01, 10:05}


I could not be more happy with this run. With where I was mentally before we started, I am still so proud of how well we did. With the exception of the cramping of my leg/butt, every mile that was 100% running was in the low 9's or high 8's! I mean mile 19 was a 9:01!!!!! Holy crap. This has me more than excited to see what happens at MDI. KC helped me push myself and what I thought I could do. I'd bet if I had run this solo, I would have given up on the hills and walked a ton more. But now I know I can do it, so I'll have no excuses when I have another 20-miler in two weeks. 


  1. HUGE congrats!!!! I wish my run had been quite that lovely, but it was yet another good mental run and someday...i pray florida will not be 90 degrees when I go running :)

  2. Having a running partner makes a huge difference. I am still trying to find good running buddies here in Maine.

  3. Congrats on a great run! Running buddies make all the difference!

  4. Congratulations!!! That's awesome!!! I run with my husband and running with him makes the miles just go by! :)


Thanks for your comments!