Thursday, September 5, 2013

Week (and a few days) in Review

With Zeke going to Kindergarten and Ian taking a few days off, I had no good time to do my recap of last week's marathon training. I have a little time to catch up now, so here we go.

Tuesday - off
Wednesday - off
Thursday - 4.1 miles, 35:04, 8:33 pace w/ 3 x .25 mi sprint intervals (.25 mi rest) in the middle
Friday - off (I can't remember the reason I didn't run this day)
Saturday - 2.53 miles, 22:22, 8:51 pace (brought me over 70 miles for the month)
Sunday - off
Monday - planned for 18 miles (10 mi w/ Jen, but thunderstorms ruined it)
Tuesday - 18 miles, 3:12:38, 10:42 pace

Okay, about that long run. Like I previously mentioned, Ian is home this week so I was able to run during the day. After seeing our oldest get on the bus for the first time and head off to Kindergarten *sigh*

I slowly got ready to head out for my long run.

The temperature was close to 70 with 94% humidity. I knew that it was going to be hot and hard, but I was confident that I could do it. I found this handheld at TJ Maxx for $5 and was going to try it out.

Verdict: I like it, but I don't swing the arm that is holding it very much so I'm pumping my arms even less than I already do. I don't feel the weight of it and it is comfortable on my hand.

I headed up to the northern tip of the city for the first loop. Everything was going pretty well in the first few miles. {9:39, 9:38, 9:37, 9:43} I walked a short hill in mile four since I'm new to running with a handheld bottle and started choking, but recovered quickly. {10:23, 9:30}

I was already really feeling the effects of the humidity and my legs were starting to feel like bricks. I had reached the track so I decided to do a few miles here to recover before heading back home to refill my bottle and pick up more Shot Bloks.

This part was good and bad. The soft surface felt nice and was a nice change from the hard pavement. But the sun started to burn through the clouds and there is no tree cover on the track. Also it felt like the surface wasn't level and I was going up a slight incline on one straightaway. My Garmin confirmed that when I uploaded the run and there are evenly spaced "hills" on the course profile. The heat was really starting to get to me and I would run for a bit, then walk for a bit, but I still wasn't getting discouraged or freaking out that I still had half of the run still to go. Just run the mile you're in. {9:36, 11:59, 9:45, 9:18}

I was almost out of water and more than halfway done, so I headed back to the house and only had 5.5 miles left to go after refueling. {12:59, 10:33} I filled my bottle with Nuun this time around, but it got warm quickly and made me burp, so I think I will continue to only use it as a recovery drink or to hydrate throughout the day. This was my first time using it on the run, so maybe I'll try again.

I headed to the southern tip of the city for the last section and it was all I could do to keep my legs moving. When I get tired my head feels so heavy and my legs just will not move. I'd run for a bit, then walk for a bit, run, walk, run, walk, just kept moving forward. {9:58, 10:44, 11:22, 12:25, 14:01, 11:26}

Finally, three hours, twelve minutes, thirty-eight seconds after I started, I was done.

I elevated my legs right away and then crawled into the bathroom to take a cold shower to try and cool down. I just sat in the bathtub and sprayed ice cold water on my legs and head. This was the best part of the day.

I definitely did not hydrate enough for this run. I was eating a Shot Blok every 1-1.5 miles, so I think I was getting enough fuel. Part of me is worried about running 26.2 miles in a little over a month, but honestly, I'm not all that discouraged from this run. The weather sucked and it WILL NOT be like that in October. I know I can do better and I will.


  1. I'm impressed you did 18 all by yourself. I would have bagged it around 10 I'm sure. Get out there today! The temp is perfect!!

    1. Ha! Already did, and it was amazing!

  2. Just think about how much mental toughness you gained by doing that long run, and how wonderful the cool air will feel next month!

  3. Congrats on the solo 18! I train by myself and know how challenging it can be! Water is a must for me on humid runs because I always seem to be sweating a lot more early in the run. Good find on the handheld.

  4. I'm so sorry the storms ruined our plans. You have it in you to do the full next month and you'll rock it!


Thanks for your comments!