Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Running After My Mojo

I've got to get back on track. Ever since the Race the Runways half marathon, my training has been nearly non-existent. First off, the week following the half I didn't run to heal blisters and chafing. I ran eight miles a week later and tweaked something in my foot. So I took the following week off from running to prevent further injury. I'm happy to report that I am feeling zero discomfort. I was itching to run during these two weeks and it was torture because I knew I couldn't.

I had to cut my long run with the girls on Sunday short, because I had volunteered to take pictures of the Habitat for Humanity Home Run and Walk 5K in Bath for Maine Running Photos. My photos are far from professional with my old, crappy point-and-shoot, but it felt good to volunteer for Maine Running Photos, a group of volunteer photographers that have been to nearly every single race that I have done. They don't get paid (hence volunteers) and provide runners with FREE race photos that are posted to Facebook and Flickr. Who doesn't love seeing their race photos? It was freezing with drizzle and I was shivering in between photos and tried to keep my hands from shaking. It was a fairly decent turnout with nearly 100 runners, including my first barefoot runner sighting and a bride and her bridesmaids who ran and donated money to Habitat for Humanity in lieu of a bachelorette party and wedding favors. 

I decided that today I'd get back on track with training, but I really wasn't feeling it. Tuesday is my track/speed workout, but I wasn't up in time to go to the high school. Finn has been doing better with sleeping and last night slept through the night without a peep, so I've been lingering in bed relishing in the extra sleep. It's making me soft. I also wasn't feeling up to a run on the treadmill. Since I am trying to ease back into training, I really needed to just go for a run, not worry about my pace and just go by feel. It wasn't raining this morning and temps were in the high 40s and it was perfect. I decided to run across the bridge into Edgecomb, a run Stacy does on a regular basis and the girls have done the last two times they have come to Wiscasset, but I have never done it. 

I was running at a moderate pace, though I wasn't looking at my watch. I was focusing on my form and footfalls. I wore my Pure Connects for the first time since the half. I love those shoes. They make a mid-foot/fore-foot strike effortless. I'm still loving my Ghosts for long runs, but I really have to concentrate on not heel-striking in them. Out of curiousity, I counted my steps to check my cadence. Professionals say for the best running form, your cadence (or stride rate) should equal 180 steps per minute regardless of pace. I've honestly never counted before, but I hit 180 on the dot! Yay! I could tell that my breathing was slightly labored, but that has to be expected after practically taking two weeks off. I ended up running 3.4 miles at an 8:55 pace. It was a great run. A happy run. And I'm looking forward to my next one on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!